Live-Football

Full Version: Manchester United v Blackburn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Redcanuck
Manchester United have the opportunity to take another step closer to the Premiership title with the visit of Blackburn Rovers to Old Trafford.

United remain in pole position to wrest the title away from Chelsea's grasp with a six-point cushion over the reigning champions at the top of the table.

Six consecutive league victories since the defeat by Arsenal in January have kept United comfortably ahead of the Blues and another three-point haul would again ratchet up the pressure on Chelsea.

Sir Alex Ferguson welcomes Paul Scholes back to the fold following the end of the goalscoring midfielder's three-match suspension.

However, all eyes will be on which strikers make his team-sheet with Louis Saha (hamstring) and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (knee) both close to full-fitness following recent lay-offs.

Ferguson could retain Alan Smith in attack alongside Wayne Rooney after the pair started the last match - a 1-0 FA Cup sixth round replay victory over Middlesbrough on March 19.

Edwin Van der Sar looks set to return to action after proving his fitness following a broken nose while on international duty with Holland during the week, while Patrice Evra (hamstring) is also back in contention.

Blackburn arrive at Old Trafford looking to keep their chances of securing a UEFA Cup spot for next season alive.

Mark Hughes' side let slip a four-match winning run in their last Premiership fixture by losing 2-1 to West Ham United at Ewood Park.

The result left Rovers tenth in the table and five points adrift of the last European qualification spot.

Robbie Savage, Andre Ooijer (both broken legs) will miss the short journey across Lancashire alongside long-term absentee Steven Reid (back).

England Under-21 international David Bentley will also sit out the Old Trafford clash after being sent off against the Hammers.

Meanwhile, history certainly isn't on Rovers' side as they have never beaten United at Old Trafford in the Premiership and remain winless at the Theatre of Dreams for over 40 years.

When the sides met earlier in this campaign, Saha scored the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win for United in November.

Here you can discuss the game and make your predictions

It was a brilliant display by ManU After they unluckily went a goal down you could see and feel the determination of the players to fight back and win the game which they did with a vengance.. Chelsea once again sneaked a late winner but time is running out for them and I can not see them overtaking Man U.
One of the best games United have played this year!!
I was a bit worried after Rovers' goal went in and for some reason,Rooney gets chance after chance and can't put it away..
Sometimes he is brilliant but when he's off,he's pretty dismal.
For a striker with his ability,he should be scoring more goals..Poor record in Europe after a great start.
Having said that,as a United fan,I know he will be back on the score sheet and playing well off the ball.So it's just a matter of time..He scored a brilliant chip a few weeks ago..
But what difference with Scholsie back..He is still one of the greatest midfielders to play the beautiful game.Ronaldo was his usual brilliant self..Great to see Ole back as well...
I though Chelsea were done for but they always seem to get a goal from somewhere..I keep hoping they would slip up..Man,our games against them will be something to see.
Reference URL's